Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Art of Courtly Love, Symptoms of Love, and Sonnet XI


Page 299.  I really enjoyed reading this passage.  I connected with it really well and I especially liked all the “rules in love” they had written out.  I thought it was interesting when it said love was an “inborn suffering” (p. 299).  It just showed me just how much love really is in our human nature.  We are born with it.  I also thought it was interesting that it said it was a suffering.  Love can make some people suffer, and it causes a lot of hurt and heartache for many people, but in the end, most people end up finding true love and are happy.  I thought it was interesting how there was also a category talking about which people were suited for love.  It said that “age, blindness and excessive passion are all bars to true love (p. 299).  When it said excessive passion, I thought of the word ‘lust’.  If people lust after one another, they are not really in love.  When it said blindness was a restrictor, I thought of the movie Blind Dating.  It’s about a man that is blind and is just trying to find love, but that’s really hard for him because he can’t even see the women he is going on dates with.  I think that you do have to be a certain age to love another besides members of your family, but I think it’s different for everyone.  I also think you can truly love the person you marry til the day you die, not “age 60 for men and 50 for women” (p. 299).
Page 318.  This poem is really just saying how even though love can hurt, you only endure it for certain people; the people you truly love and care about.  “Love is a universal migraine” (p. 318) means that love truly is a universal thing.  Everyone everywhere has experienced love at some point or another.  It also said that love “[blots] out reason” (p. 318) meaning that people do things for love without thinking.  Love makes us go crazy, therefore “blotting out reason.”
Page 320.  I really enjoyed reading this poem.  It talks about how love is nothing that anyone needs physically and how it really isn’t “everything.”  “Love is not all:…Love cannot fill the thickened lung with breath” (p. 320).  The reason I thought this was so interesting though was that in the middle of the poem it says that many people are dying for “lack of love alone” (p. 320).  People really can die of heartbreak and I think that it can cause actual physical pain in some cases.  This poem was very eye opening for me and made me think about how love is a psychological need that everyone feels like they need to fulfill to truly be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment