Male Privilege Checklist:
Page 536. This passage was very interesting to me. I really enjoyed it because it had so many unique facts and truths that most people never really think about day to day. My favorite quote in this passage was number 46, "I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege" (p. 538). I really thought this was interesting because as we were discussing this passage in class, one of my friends that is a boy disagreed with more than half of the things on the checklist. Men really are unaware of their male privilege and they need to be more grateful.
Media Portrayals:

Page 538. The following stereotypes (p. 539) are very common in the media. The Joker: Joey from Friends. The Jock: Puck from Glee. The Strong Silent Type: Jay from Modern Family. The Big Shot: Iron Man. The Action Hero: Malfoy from Harry Potter. The Buffoon: Phil from Modern Family. This passage said "The study also revealed that the boys were quite aware that these male characters on television differed from their own friends, fathers, and from themselves" (p. 540). I thought it was interesting that the men were aware of the fact that these stereotypes are really quite uncommon in the real world, but it is the way in which the media chooses to portray them.
Look for My Prince Charming:

Page 543. This passage was very interesting to me since it has to do with both gender and race. Shalmali Pal is talking about how she is trying to find someone that she wants to marry, but she also wants him to be Indian like her. The reason for this interracial marriage for her, and for most other people I would assume, is because it means less confusion for both parties. "When people ask why I've agreed to my family's setups, I could say it's about preserving my cultural heritage...but in the end, I'm just lazy. Marrying an Indian means a lot less explaining" (p. 543). This was what she meant by less confusion, is that she wouldn't have to explain all of her cultural and heritage background to the person she marries if he is Indian. I think that that is why interracial marriages are so common in our society and that they will continue to be for quite some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment